Toronto Blue Jays (7-11) at Minnesota Twins (8-6)
April 17, 2019, 7:40 PM ET (Target Field)
Spread: Blue Jays (-145) O/U: (+1.5) Twins (+135) O/U: (-1.5) Total: (9)
Free MLB Picks and Parlays Toronto Blue Jays vs. Minnesota Twins
The Toronto Blue Jays are starting to come around in this series, and it looks like its season is starting to swing up as they are riding a two-game winning streak after beating the Minnesota Twins, 6-5 yesterday in game two of the four-game series. Teoscar Hernandez came in clutch yesterday with a go-ahead hit for the second straight game against the Twins. The game was tied at six when Twins’ Eddie Rosario hit a three-run homer in the sixth. But then Hernandez signed off reliever Trevor Hildenberger to give the Blue Jays a 6-4 lead in the seventh. The Twins tried to have its own rally when Marwin Gonzalez hit a homer in the bottom of the ninth to make a 6-5, but that’s all they could get out of closer Ken Giles. Today is game three of the series and here is my prediction.
The Blue Jays will try to make it three in a row tonight against Toronto. The Jays are starting to build some momentum with its offense behind Hernandez. He hit a two-run homer in the seventh to pull the Blue Jays ahead. He did it in Monday’s game too when he hit a three-homer in the eighth in the 5-3 win. He has one homer and 11 RBI so far this season. Look for that to go up. It was Toronto’s second come-from-behind win in a row. Freddy Galvis is leading the team in homers with five and RBI, with 11 so far this season and is rocking a .328 batting average. Taking the mound tonight will be Jake Odorizzi (0-2, 6.35 ERA). He is 5-3 against the Twins with a 3.21 ERA in 89 ⅔ innings pitched in 15 starts.
The Twins are skidding, as its riding a two-game losing streak. But the losing streak hurts a little more when you gave up hits and homers when leading late in the game. Hernandez has the Twins’ number in this series but the Twins will be looking to bounce back tonight. Twins’ starter Kyle Gibson struggled in yesterday’s game in the sixth inning, when he gave up four runs, including a two-run single. Through the first five, the right-hander only gave up one run. The Twins have fallen out of the American League Central lead at 8-6 with the last two losses. On the mound for Minnesota will be rookie Trent Thornton (0-1, 4.61 ERA).
Cover the Spread Stats
- Toronto is 2-4 ATS in its last six games when playing Minnesota
- Toronto is 2-4 SU in its last six games when playing Minnesota
- Toronto is 4-1 ATS in its last five games when playing on the road against Minnesota
- Toronto is 4-1 SU in its last five games when playing on the road against Minnesota
- The total has gone OVER in four of Toronto’s last six games when playing on the road against Minnesota
- Minnesota is 4-2 ATS in its last six games when playing Toronto
- Minnesota is 4-2 SU in its last six games when playing Toronto
- Minnesota is 1-4 ATS in its last five games when playing at home against Toronto
- Minnesota is 1-4 SU in its last five games when playing at home against Toronto
- The total has gone OVER in four of Minnesota’s last six games when playing at home against Toronto
Free MLB Picks and Parlays Minnesota Twins vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Tonight we’ll see if the Blue Jays will keep the momentum going or the Twins can get back on track. Both teams are trying to make adjustments, but I’ll go with the underdog team, the Blue Jays to keep its momentum going. Hernandez is hot right now and knows how to come through when needed. Minnesota has a rookie pitcher starting tonight and so I don’t think Thornton will be the hero tonight on a team that’s trying to figure out why it has dropped the ball late in the game.