NHL Hockey: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 (Madison Square Garden)
New York Islanders (28-15-5) vs. New York Rangers (23-20-4)
New York Islanders -1.5, New York Rangers +1.5 (NYI -105, NYR -105)
NHL Scores New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers
The New York Islanders will make a quick trip to see their neighbors the New York Rangers at the Big Apple’s Madison Square Garden in NHL hockey tonight. The Islanders are coming off a 2-1 shootout loss to the Carolina Hurricanes. Alternately, the New York Rangers are also coming off a loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, which was also a 2-1 defeat. Both of these teams want to get back on the winning side of things, so this will be a decent contest to watch and wager on.
The Islanders would have been all right in their last game if they would have just received a tad bit more offense. They had their lone goal from the handiwork of Anders Lee, who had the goal at the 19:04 mark of the second period. He was assisted by Scott Mayfield. Unfortunately, this effort wasn’t enough as goalie Thomas Greiss took the loss, allowing one goal on 32 Carolina shots during the regulation period and then losing in the shootout. The Islanders will have to either get offense or better defense if they are going to rebound against the Rangers tonight.
The New York Rangers definitely got off to a good start in their last game. They received their first and only goal from Brady Skjei at the 18:23 mark of the first period. The problem is that they couldn’t keep this offense going over three periods, and Rangers goalie Igor Shesterkin was the recipient of the loss after he allowed two goals on 31 shots faced from the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Rangers will have to get better goal tending tonight in order to defeat the Islanders.
New York Islanders Trends
- NY Islanders are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games.
- NY Islanders are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games against NY Rangers.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Islanders’ last 5 games when playing on the road against NY Rangers.
- NY Islanders are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games this season.
- NY Islanders are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games against an opponent in the East conference.
- The total has gone OVER in 13 of NY Rangers’ last 17 games.
- NY Rangers are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games.
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of NY Rangers’ last 8 games at home.
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of NY Rangers’ last 5 games when playing at home against NY Islanders.
- NY Rangers are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games against an opponent in the East conference.
NHL Picks New York Rangers vs. New York Islanders
In normal circumstances, I would take the New York Islanders to win this game easily. However, they haven’t done so well against the Rangers in their last couple of meetings, and they haven’t done so well in their last couple of games either. When you couple that with the fact that the Rangers are going to have the rowdy Madison Square Garden crowd on their side, I think they get a win here.